Monday, April 12, 2010

Warp speed

Two weeks ago, I found a lump. Last Monday, I learned I have cancer. By next Monday, I should be starting chemo. Who pushed the super warp speed button?

I'm going from 15 to 100 mph this week. I met with my first oncologist, who we'll call Dr. McDreamy. Dr. McDreamy was nice, patient, and very much a teaching doctor. He wrote out little notes for me as his student doctor and resident looked on. They weren't love notes, but info on my disease. Oh well. But Dr. McDreamy told me what to expect if I decide to have treatment through IU. I have another CT scan scheduled for tomorrow morning at St. Francis (that's hospital #3 I've been at for this crap)and then I'm meeting with a south side oncologist in the afternoon. After that, I should know where I want to have my treatment. Treatment will pretty much be the same, it's just what package do I want it delivered in?
I need to have a bone marrow biopsy - my hip already is in pain just thinking about it, but Dr. McD says it's really not that bad, like dental work. That's how the doctor who did my neck biopsy described it and it wasn't too bad. I just had to make sure they really pumped me full of lydacane.
After that, I'll definitely know what stage I'm in. We want a 2A. Everyone say it now - 2A! 2A is my best case scenario at this point. The doc thinks I'm a A based on my symptoms, and that's good because apparently if you are a B, that bumps you up a stage in treatment. So being a 2B is like being a 3A.
Once I know my stage, it's time for the port. Luckily they will knock me out for this. Second time in my life to be put under, and last time, I sang "Walk like an Egyptian" when I woke up, and then promptly vomited. Good times. The port is needed because of my finicky veins. No idea what restrictions I'll have with the port, so there will be a scar. I have to decide if I want it in my shoulder/chest area or under my armpit area.
This all will have to happen this week. And I have to squeeze in a dentist appointment at some point because I can't have dental work on chemo. Chemo is supposed to start Monday, that is if I go with IU.
YOWZERS.

I saw the infusion room at IU. Some are private rooms and some are in open areas where you can hang with others getting treatment. You can walk around with this IV thing, go to the bathroom, whatever, so that's nice. Dr. McD says I'd have chemo twice a month and at least 4 cycles. 1 cycle is one month. If I'm a 2A, less chemo, so probably just 4-6 months. 3A or higher, at least 6-8 months. BOOURNS. Treatments take 2-3 hours.

I'm hoping to have minimal reactions so that for the majority of the month I feel OK, can go to work or work from home, and be somewhat normal. Dr. McDreamy said I have a 60 percent chance of losing my hair and if I do, they'd help me with shaving it off and finding a wig.

So that's where i'm at right now. I appreciate all the warm wishes, inspiration cards, and gifts sent our way. It really means a lot of have so many people praying for us and helping us through this. It will be tough, but I'm hopeful. doesn't mean I may not cry, or be a big baby while doing it.

4 comments:

  1. Jenn- I just got done reading through your blog entries. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I can't imagine what you're going through, but this helps me understand a little better. You're a redhead, so that cancer won't be around long--It just doesn't know who it's messin' with yet! Kick Ass, Jenn!

    You're in our thoughts and prayers!
    Jodi ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think of you and pray for you everyday. Thanks for filling us in on what happened with the oncologist today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently I don't know how to do this right... if it doesn't work this time I'll just post this on your fb. In my experience and viewing those of others, the reactions to epidurals, going under, etc. are different for the same person every time so you might not get sick this time. Just in case though, you should ask your doctor about some anti-nausea meds to have ready to go when you wake up. I don't know if this is done through an IV or is a pill because luckily I didn't need it, but before my surgery my aunt made the doctor write orders for some medicine to be grabbed if I started to feel at all ill to prevent the puking from happening. It wouldn't hurt to ask anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenn, Keep up the good spirits...You will need them. You seem to be doing fairly well thus far. Still sending lots of prayers your way... We're here if you need anything... Looks like you have quite a support network.

    ReplyDelete