Friday, April 16, 2010

Drugs are good

I'm alive. I made it through, but it was a bit of an ordeal. I made it an ordeal. I surprisingly didn't throw up this morning out of nerves, which I expected. The hubby and I made our way to the hospital at 6:30 a.m. We registered and I went to the bathroom where I proceeded to cry. And cry. And cry. I don't think I stopped crying until they gave me the happy drugs. I didn't get into surgery until close to 9. They gave me an IV (and got it in on the first try. Have I mentioned how awsome the nurses are at St. Francis????) and gave me something in an IV, I think just something to hydrate me. It made me pee 4 times. Yes. In the midst of my despair and anxiety, I made the poor nurses have to unhook my IV, carry it with me to the bathroom, hang it up in there, and pee. At least we got a chuckle out of that.

Jonathan had to leave to go to work so my parents took over in the pre-surgery waiting. Then, it was time (after pee no. 3). They wheeled me back and I met with Dr. G, who one nurse told me was very handsome. He wasn't too bad looking. He explained everything and then I said, (while crying of course) please don't let me feel anything.

Then it was time for surgery. But of course, I had to pee again. :P So the nice surgery technician wheeled me over to a bathroom, unhooked my IV and I did my business. Then it was show time. The tears were still flowing at this point and the nice nurse took my vitals and tried to calm me down. They had me lay on my stomach for the bone marrow biopsy portion of the procedure. Finally, they gave the drugs. I demanded more. :P I guess I got a lot of drugs. I do kind of remember the biopsy, but it wasn't too bad. Glad I had the drugs. I think I remember rolling over onto my back to being the port procedure. Then I think I blacked out for a while because the next thing I know, I remember talking to Dr. G (at least I think it was the doctor becuase I couldn't see him based on sheet placement) about Bon Jovi. Bon Jovi was playing in the room. Then somehow we started talking about Pearl Jam and Nirvana, to which I said I do not like Pearl Jam. Then the procedure was pretty much over. They wheeled me back to my parents and we waited while the nurses made sure I was ok.

I'm very tired, and pretty sore. The biopsy was in my back just above my hip bone, so to bend over and sit is sore. My port (which I really can't see so I hope it's in there!) is also sore. If I move a certain way, i'm pretty sure I feel it. Sometimes it feels like something is poking me. I have some big red wounds right now.

I can't lift anything heavy for a few days nor can I shower for 3 days. Sorry everyone! :P It is a relief to have it over and just one more step to cementing that yes, I have cancer. I meet with Dr. G next friday to make sure the port's healing OK. I've heard it takes some getting used to having this thing in. My co-worker who's just finishing up her treatments calls it her robotic part. I think I'll call mine Mort. Mort the port. We're in this together, Mort and I.

As always anticipation is always the worse, but still this was no walk in the park. I'm now starting to feel a little ill, so I think I'll lay down. Hopefully I feel better soon because I just sent my dad out for Jimmy John's.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are home resting now and that you made it through everything today. You are amazing and strong. It is OK to cry. And if it makes you feel better, let me tell you about a fellow crier. Except I cry during even MINOR procedures (and let me take this opportunity to say your procedures are NOT minor and are very much cry-worthy!). I'm told I cried all the way through my first colonoscopy. And last summer when I had the clot in my leg cleaned out, I started crying as the nurse was gathering the meds. Then when they put the versed in my IV I kept telling them through the tearsthat I was conscious and didn't want to be that way.

    Anyways, my point is that I'm incredibly amazed by you. You are stronger than you realize and you are going to make it. Don't doubt the strength you have.

    love ya,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. With that all over...I hope you can now have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete