Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Phew

No port poking yet! When I got to Dr. Shorty's office, the nurse suggested they just take my blood draw out of my port. Inside, I was thinking "Noooooooooooooo. This thing hurts right now, and I can't imagine how it will feel after you stab it with a needle." Luckily for me, nice nurse whose name I can't remember decided it still looked too tender and just poked me in the arm for my blood draw. And, it only took two sticks to get the IV in for the PET Scan people.

The PET scan was interesting. They injected the sugars in me and then I hung out in this little room, sitting in a recliner for an hour. I read a People style magazine (which really likes to showcase Lindsey Price for some reason) and then decided to try to nap when they knocked on the door. I had no idea what time it was because I wasn't allowed to wear jewelry and there were no clocks in the room. When it was time for the scan, I had to take off my bra. Then, I had to have my jeans at my knees again, like the last CT scan. Of course, they covered me up.

I laid there with my arms bent up near my head for about 20 minutes as the machine slowly scanned my body. The sounds of the machine were oddly calming as I'm a fan of white noise. I just remember laying there, staring at the dotted ceiling thinking how much can change in just a few short weeks. I also remember thinking that a stain on one of the tiles resembled a beaver.

For those who don't know what a PET scan is, let's pause for an educational moment. If I've already mentioned this, I apologize. The PET scan sees how your cells take sugar. Cancer cells really like sugar so they appear brighter on the scan. But some people get negative readings, which I guess means the cancer cells don't appear any brighter than healthy cells. So, if I get a negative reading, I believe I won't have another after treatment because there's no point. I guess I'm hoping for positive then because it's just one more way to show if the cancer is gone.

Afterward, my dad and I went to the mall for lunch and I got a few things at Old Navy, including a couple summery scarfs. I'm a little self conscious about my port and scars right now, plus this short hair is making me cold! I was shivering so much this morning I turned the heat on in my house. My body temperature was 96.4. That can't be good. But now I feel much warmer, thanks to getting out of the house and one of my new snazy scarfs!

I've found another positive of this short hair. It really makes me look completely different and I believe it makes me look thinner. If it doesn't, please don't tell me that. :)

I've rallied the troops and they are coming over tonight to help us clean our house really well before I start chemo. I think if my house smells fresh and clean and I don't have to worry about cleaning it for a while, that will help me relax more. Not that our house is that dirty, but we've just been so busy lately we've neglected a few things. Again, I must give a shout out to my wonderful family for helping with everything. If they can, they help in anyway possible. It's great to be surrounded by such positive energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment