Sunday, May 2, 2010

OK, I don't want to jinx myself or anything, but so far, I'm having a "good" weekend. By that, I mean I've had minor side effects from the chemo. No heartburn/acid issues, relatively minor muscle/bone pain from walking or standing a long time, and maybe some back pain related to my bone marrow biopsy, all in all I just feel good. It's great!!

If chemo holds the same pattern and issues as this time, then I think I will be able to deal with it no problems. I'll be knocked down occassionally, but should be able to maintain a fairly normal life. However, the hubby suspects that my side effects may build on each other, meaning I'll feel worse each time. I don't know if that will happen, but I have heard that some people feel ok the first few times of chemo and then it hits them. I guess that's one of the hardest parts of this whole process - not knowing how I'll be. It makes it hard to plan to attend events, or even plan my day sometimes. Plus, I don't really have anything to compare my experiences with to say "ok, by day 15 I should feel X" or "by day 24 my hair should fall out."

I just hope and pray I can get through my next 11 chemo treatments with as much energy and strength as I got through these. I guess I'll find out Thursday. that's my next chemo day.

On a random side note, so I have this port in me. this port is to make accessing a vein easier for blood work and chemo. Yet, I don't want my port touched. Weird or normal? I have to have blood work done Wednesday and I'm debating whether to let them take it through my port or go through the traditional arm vein route. there is just something about knowing I'm going to be poked in the chest that's a bit frightening. I'm sure I'll get over this, because I'll have to be poked 1 -2 times a week for at least the next 6 months. hooray. :P

1 comment:

  1. Paul says you should just not look when they poke you in the port. The port is a good thing, if you can get over the mental block. It is weird though.

    Re: how you'll feel, Paul seconds your husband's suspicions that the side effects will build as you get farther in treatment. Like you said, though, everyone reacts differently to it. We found that he responded to each chemo treatment a little differently, especially at the beginning. The first one he was exhausted, the second not so much.

    Not being able to plan is a pain in the toucas. We have only had spur-of-the-moment dates since all this began. You just never know at the beginning of the day what you're going to be up for by the end of it.

    ReplyDelete