Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Here's an update since it's been a few days since I last blogged.

It's definitely been more difficult this time around. After the first round, I started to feel much better at this point. Still not feeling so hot. I've had back pain, leg and foot tingling - I wonder if it's damage caused by the chemo or the bone marrow biopsy. It's not as bad today, but my back where the biopsy was done just feels weird.

Today, I've been struggling with stomach pain. I eat, and then my stomach hurts really bad. Again, I don't know if it's the chemo, aftermath of my bad weekend and my intestines are still trying to get back to normal, if it's because of the new meds I took today or just a bad coincidence. It definitely makes me not want to eat, but don't worry, I'll eat something.

I've done better drinking water today, so it's a minor victory. I've always been kind of bad about drinking a lot of liquids, but now it's even more important. I've got to work on that more.

Speaking of the new meds, I took the rantidine today for the first time. This is replacing the nasty Nexium suspension. This is a clear syrup with a strange taste. I really can't explain it. It's definitely not tasty and it will also be difficult to take, but I'm hoping it will be easier getting down and easy on my system. I guess if it's effing me up, then I'll just have to go back to the Nexium and figure it out.

I spoke with Tara on Monday night through the LLS' "First Connections" program. It matches up people going through cancer with someone who went through the same cancer and is similar in age or situation. She was 31 when she was diagnosed and was a 1, I can't remember if an A or B. but it sounds like she had pretty much the same amount of treament except she had 4 months of chemo and a month of radiation. She's been in remission since 2006 and has two kids! hooray for her! She lives in Philly. I'm sure I'll call her again in the future. She also works in cancer reseach, something she did before being diagnosed, so she definitely knows some things.

As much as I'm struggling right now, i know it's going to get worse. There are side effects I haven't experienced yet - like the weird taste in your mouth. I'm pretty sure that will happen, it's just a matter of when. Tara told me one day she went out to dinner and her food tasted like nothing. Water tasted like metal and every other drink tasted like water. Great, can't wait. My Facebook buddy Megan, who I connected with because of our shared HL diagnoses (although she was diagnosed 10 years ago when she was 14 and has been in remission since!!) also said she had that problem. Both said lemonheads were great because they masked the taste pretty well. I already got a bag, even though I don't care for them now. Tara also said she ate a lot of watermelon because it didn't taste too bad and had a lot of liquid. I think that's a good idea!!

Tara also brought up a couple good points - you will have good days and bad days and it's ok. She also said, hey this is just a six month bump in the road and it will be over before you know it. In a sense I agree with her, but it's still kind of hard to think that way.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't been in the same boat you're in now, but when I have to get through something, I remind myself at the end of each day I'm one day closer to being through the rough stuff. Hang in there. You may not feel like it, but you are handling this with such strength and grace. And it's fine to cry or get angry; it's better than holding it all in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you have people to talk to who have been through what you're going through! I'm still here for you anytime you need to talk to someone you know or want to talk about something else. :) Call me anytime you're lonely and just want company too this summer while Jonathan is at work- once school lets out I'm working mornings only just to make extra money/prevent extreme boredom, but afternoons are free.

    ReplyDelete