Wednesday, May 12, 2010

the good things about cancer

The blog title may be a little misleading, but there are some positive things that have come out of my diagnosis. Although many may be small, I have to find the good things, right?
I've learned I can pull off short hair. I have yet to learn whether I can pull off no hair. :P

I've lost that 10 pounds I wanted to lose. I could probably lose 5-10 more and then it'd be getting into too low of a weight. I was 100 pounds in high school and beginning of college. Then I met beer. And fountain Coke. I think my license still says I'm 115. Ha. I haven't been that since I was 21. :P

I've learned to not feel guilty about missing work. Ok, well that's not really true, but I've realized I can only do so much and I'm not going to sacrifice my health for work. Before the cancer happened, I had taken 1.5 sick days in 4 years. i've taken quite a few now, some because of tests and such, and some because I just felt sick.

I've probably found something to be passionate about. I've wanted to get involved in an organization but just never knew which one. Well guess I've found it. I hope that I beat this in 6 months, get a clean bill of health, and then can help others, whether it's through the First connections program, fundraising, or other things.

Perhaps most importantly, I've felt the love and support of my family and friends. I love getting cards and e-mails,or comments from people with encouraging words and support. It's quite easy to focus on how bad you feel or how 6 months can't come soon enough, but then you get a card from someone and it helps. Sometimes I cry because it does remind me that I'm sick, but it also makes me feel good.

I just saw on the news that 1 in 3 women will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetimes. How sad! :( Guess I'm a statistic now. :P

I'll probably have more good things to add in the future, but here's what I've got for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment