Monday, July 26, 2010

Take that, hospital!

I got very good news today. I had a voicemail from the helpful insurance rep, Theresa from Aetna, telling me that Clarian wrote off the CT scan charge! They wrote off the more than $1500 in charges for no authorization. Guess they realized they goofed. I'll be getting a new bill for about $100!! I can handle that.
Health care and insurance makes my head hurt. I know the whole system needs reformed, but not sure how. It's frankly a debate I don't want to get into now, but it makes me wonder how much they write off a year and if that's also a reason why costs are so high. Nearly $3,000 last month for my two blood draws. That's ridiculous, but is that expensive for a reason. Thank god for insurance. Seriously, if we didn't have it, I'd have sold a kidney, plasma (although could I do that with chemo in me...?) and anything else to try to cover how expensive this has been. We are very fortunate and blessed that Jthan's job has a)insurance and b) good insurance. My job's insurance is ok, but definitely would have cost us more.
Moral of the story: if hospital wants to fight me in the Thunderdome, I win. :P

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! However, in regards to your plasma question, no. You'll actually never be allowed to donate blood or organs... I'm not allowed to because the one VHL tumor I had was malignant and if you've had any sort of cancer you're not allowed. :P You don't like being poked anyway though, so now you'll just have a legit reason.

    ReplyDelete