Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A pain in my arm

I've always kind of been a hypocondriac, but since getting cancer, I've been uber paranoid. Case in point - my sore arm. I have been convinced for the last day and a half that the chemo that was injected through an IV in that arm seeped into my arm and is causing problems. Or it's a blood clot. You know, something serious.

It's hard to explain, but my right arm simultaneously feels heavy, sore, and if i push on my bicep, it hurts. Little bit of tingling too.

I tell these fears to my husband, who lovingly brushes off my crazy and suggests maybe it's nerve damage. If the chemo had seeped, it should have done so near my wrist, where the drug was inserted. That's a good possiblity. I just find it strange that it's only in my right arm. I'm going to keep an eye on it, maybe call the doctor tomorrow.

Arm issue aside, i've been very lucky through all of this. I wouldn't want anyone to have to go through this, but I know I've had fairly mild issues and set backs compared to others (knock on wood!!). I stumbled upon a blog today while googling chemo pain from IV. An English woman living in German had a pretty rare and aggressive form of breast cancer. Her experiences are far worse than mine, including an exploding port wound!! Yes, her port wound exploded shortly after surgery. ugh...

I don't want to ever go through this again, but it hasn't been as bad as I anticipated (again, knock on wood). I think it's due to the type of chemo I get. Yes, my hair has fallen out, i've got some aches and pains, hate the nausea, and i'm over the needle pokes and tests. But like I said, I've got a pretty good prognosis and I've had it easy compared to others.

Let's hope and pray that the next four treatments and 8 weeks go as well, I don't have any set backs, and the cancer is gone FOREVER!!

No comments:

Post a Comment