Saturday, March 26, 2011

Butler makes me emotional

The Butler Bulldogs just won and will now be in the Final Four. Because I am lame, it made me tear up. Not just because I'm excited for them, but because I will forever associate Butler with my cancer.

Last year, as Butler was making their run in the tournament, I discovered the lump in my neck. When they were playing in the Final Four, I was waiting for the results of my tests to see if I had cancer. At the time, I wanted Butler to win so bad because it would have given me something to look forward to on Monday evening with them playing in the final game. That Monday would also be the day I would get my diagnosis. Butler won and played Monday. I found out I had cancer around 3 p.m. Monday and that evening, I was able to cheer on the Bulldogs and temporarily be distracted from my diagnosis.

Flash forward to this year, and Butler is doing it again, only this time I'm cancer free. Their run in the tournament this year makes me think back to last year. Hopefully this year, they can win it all and I'll remain cancer free. A win/win for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment